I don’t think lima beans have much of a flavor on their own, but this recipe gives them a nice taste. This recipe calls for mint leaves, but keep in mind there are two types of mint (peppermint and spearmint). From what I have read, traditionally you cook with spearmint, but I used a combination of both. Whatever you have on hand should be fine.
WHAT YOU NEED
10 oz frozen lima beans
1 cup water
3 Tbsp olive oil
3Tbsp parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp mint leaves, chopped
(approx. 15 leaves. I used mostly spearmint leaves and a few peppermint)
3 big cloves of garlic
zest from 1 lemon
1 oz feta cheese
salt & pepper
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Put oil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 1 minute to soften garlic.
2. Add the lima beans, water, 1 tbsp mint, 2 tbsp parsley, and some salt. (the remaining herbs will be added at the end)
3. Bring to a simmer. Then cover and reduce heat.
4. Cook for approx. 17 minutes or until the beans are soft.
5. Remove from heat and add remaining herbs, lemon zest and pepper. Crumble feta cheese on top.
You can serve this dish with a variety of food. I had it with steak and red potatoes as shown below.
recipe adapted from thekitchn.com